[aprssig] TEMPn-N system for fill-in UIDIGI's and D700's

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 28 08:09:24 EST 2006

There is Another possibility for UIDIGI fill-in digis
to consider.

For a year or more (as part of the New-N
Paradigm), I have been proposing that
we have an additional "flood" path that is
pre-programmed into all D-700 mobile radios
for special and emeergency use.  Since we
do NOT want these radios acting as digis all
the time, but we DO want to be able to use
them consistently if needed, I have proposed
the TEMPn-N system.

By having TEMPn-N installed in all D-700 digis
all the time, then when needed and at any time,
someone can possibly get a message out of
an area if he can hit someone nearby with
a D700.  Without the impossible task of having
to find the operator and get him to turn on
his digi.  It would just be there all the time
though not be a normal burden to anyone.

Another BIG advnantage of this is FIELD DAY!
The requirement on FD for APRS is that one
cannot use any existing fixed infrastructure
and must set up a temporary digi to use
for FD.  Rather than every year trying to
get mobile/portable digis set up, all we ahve
to do is park the car in a good location and
just use TEMPn-N on that day.  Done.

It still amazes me that we are not taking full
advantage of these radios.  Everytime I go
someplace new and meet a bunch of hams,\
in most locations, most D700 owners are still
not even aware of "voice alert" for their
radios.  SO it will be hard to get the word out.

But we should make it part of the APRS mantra.
Set all D700's (and in this case), the default path
for fill-in-UI-DIGI's with UITRACE TEMPn-N.

de WB4APR, Bob

>>> ron.stordahl at digikey.com 01/25/06 3:33 PM >>>
Thanks to Chris K6DBG and Richard VK3JFK for bringing to my attention
that my earlier recommended configuration for Fill_In digi's for which I
had:

UITRACEcall =
UIFLOODcall =

resulted in these defaulting to WIDE and TRACE respectively rather than
empty as I had incorrectly assumed.

I have replaced these by:

UITRACEcall = ABCDEF
UIFLOODcall = GHIJKL

Existing UIDIGI 'Fill_In' users should not feel the need to burn new
eproms, as they can make the changes by remote sysop access.

The new files may be found at:

http://dxspots.com/FIX14439_UIDIGI-ROM.zip

Ron Stordahl, N5N

Yahoo! Groups Links