[aprssig] Re: KPC-3

Doug Ferrell kd4moj at kd4moj.org
Wed Jan 25 16:33:54 EST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Stan - N0YXV wrote:

> I got a KPC3 (not + or v8.2) for $20 but I've seen them go on Ebay for close to
> $100. If you don't have the latest version of software you can still use the
> KPC3 for APRS but you would want to do it connected to a computer in KISS mode
> so that the computer does all the work. Not sure which version of firmware you
> have to get to to have the GPS functions included other than I know 8.2 can do
> WIDEn-N.

KISS mode is not necessary always... depends on what app you are
running. Winaprs, DOSAprs and APrsPoint are 3 that I know of that you can
use a MFJ or KPC3 not in KISS mode.  Heck I am still using a KPC-3
5.1 TNC still as well as an old KAM!  KPC-3 6.0 started support of the GPS
functions (i.e. for mobile tracker apps etc). I think that Ui-View might
require KISS but I'm not up on that application.

Version 8.2(265) will work as a wideN-N but does not callsign substitute
correctly (does not indicate the last digi with the WIDE* asterisk).  Best
to get a 3Plus with 9.1 for digi ops... that is what we are using around
here and it works like a charm.

--
...DOUG
KD4MOJ