[aprssig] Anyone running APRS on a LCD in a car ?

WB4GQK at aol.com WB4GQK at aol.com
Tue Jan 24 12:06:33 EST 2006

Hi John,

You have several good points, but unfortunately I have to run the genset
anyway.  My autopilot is hydraulic! Believe me with any wind over 10 kts and a 3
-4 sea the autopilot works quite a bit, so it brings it's battery down in the 3
hours.

The isolation is a total disconnect from any of the other batteries onboard.
The device I am using is called "DIGITAL ECHO CHARGER" You can find this for
sale at WEST MARINE under their number 333669. This device is actually a
solenoid which closes the circuit. Whenever the input voltage goes above 14 VDC
either caused by running the genset thru the 3 stage charger, or the alternator on
the prime mover, the DEC will close its contacts and supply 12+ volts to the
isolated battery. Unfortunately it is not cheap! West Marine sells this item
for $130.00.

We have sailed something in the order of 350 hours in the past 18 months
using the setup I have subscribed. In all of that time the Mini-ITX and screen has
worked flawlessly.

73 Jim