[aprssig] Anyone running APRS on a LCD in a car ?

Tim Cwik tcwik at stnhbr.com
Tue Jan 24 12:01:44 EST 2006

On 2006.01.24 11:38, Dave Baxter wrote:
> Hi Tim...
>
> I think a company over there "PowerStream" (http://www.powerstream.com/)
> may be able to help you.  They do (among other things) DC input
> "Chargers", so you can fully charge a-n-other battery, from a regular
> 12V vehicle supply (24V versions too)
>
> They also have a lot of info on battery chemistry, and all sorts of
> how's and why's.  Well worth a good poke about.

A good site. Thanks for the pointer.

> About the only place where it's always done right, is in aircraft AFIK.
> Something about car's, trucks, boats etc "already being on the surface"
> perhaps!!

I try to do aviation spec whenever I can.

> That vehicle was a "Series 3" 109 inch Land Rover (Leaf Springs).  If
> you know anyone with one of those, get them to check the condition of
> the wiring where it goes through the toolbox in the back to one set of
> lights.  (And add a fuse to the main light switch feed!)

I have a Series 2 109 in the garage that I hope to finish restoring some day.
You are right, the electrics are a bit primitive. I have already upgraded the
fuse panel. For most add-on projects in the car, I try to use circuit breakers
to make recover after repairs a bit easier. Copying aviation practice, you can
"pull" the breaker to isolate circuits when necessary.

--
Tim Cwik
tcwik at stnhbr.com                            spamtrap: tjc123 at stnhbr.com