[aprssig] Anyone running APRS on a LCD in a car ?

Tim Cwik tcwik at stnhbr.com
Tue Jan 24 10:53:27 EST 2006

Thanks Dave,

On 2006.01.24 09:40, Dave Baxter wrote:
> How are you charging the battery?  If just a split charge from the car,
> it'll never fill right up.

I am using the output of a charger in the car intended to charge a battery
used to power brakes on trailer.

> Check out the marrine industry, they've generaly got it sorted, but you
> can have up to 16V on the battery during part of the charge cycle.

This is my next step after replacing the battery. It may be that the charger
in the car is not optimized for the marine deep cycle battery I am using.
Research for another project suggests that it is better to have a smart
charger that allows some amount of discharge before the bringing the battery
back up to full charge rather than relying on charging whenever the car is
running.

> And as in another post.  Check all your grounds are good.  Immagine what
> can happen if the battery ground strap (or another) fail at some point.

Yes, very important. This should be the first advice for any installation in
cars. Also important to be sure ground leads are fused close to the aux
battery.

TIm N2LTQ

--
Tim Cwik