[aprssig] VHF Aircraft Channels

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Jan 24 06:48:04 EST 2006

First, these channels are AM, not FM.  I am not aware of any standard
VHF/UHF FM Ham radios that will transmit AM.  So that leaves you with
trying to use a multimode radio.  I am not aware of any Ham multimode
radios that are type accepted for use on the aviation frequencies
eliminating those from use.

While it is no longer required for pilots or aircraft operating solely
within the United States to have licenses (international operations
still require licenses for both), it is required that all ground
stations have a license and use type-accepted radios on the frequency(s)
they are licensed for.  This means that you can't legally just go out
and buy an aviation handheld and start talking to aircraft.  Your ground
operation must be licensed and use only the frequency(s) you are
licensed for.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net