[aprssig] ARRL APRS Power Point update

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 00:44:40 EST 2006

hgerhardt at wavecable.com wrote:
> It appeared to download OK but it will not open in Power Point.  I get an
> error message as follows:
>
>     The path or file name for C:\Documents and Settings\Herb\Local
> Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Contents.IE5\CZR TFALS\APRS-2006[1].ppt is
> Invalid
>
> I am running WinXP Home with IE6 and Office 97.
>
> Clicking on Bob's Link it downloads the file as an Open File.  Is there a
> way to download it first and then open it later?  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herb, KB7UVC
> NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
> Our WEB Site:  http://www.nwaprs.info

The standard Windows convention  for this is:

     Left   Click On A Linked File  - Open in place in the browser

     Right Click On A Linked File  - Produces a context menu;  one item
is "Save target as..." or "Save file as..."
                                                          which will
then prompt you for a location on your hard disk to download the file.

Many applications attach themselves to your browser(s) during install so
that their filetypes can be opened in place in the browser.   If the
program for a particular file type has not been registered as a "browser
helper" or plug-in (i.e. the browser doesn't know what to do with that
kind of file),  then either a left OR right click will prompt for a
download.

This convention holds for Acrobat PDF documents, MS Office files (.DOC,
.XLS, .PPT, etc), Windows Media Video (.WMA, etc), sound files (.MP3,
.WAV, etc) and many other file types.