[aprssig] Re: Radio Shack (NOT)

Paul Zawada engineerz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 00:03:38 EST 2006

On 1/21/06, ki6nj at comcast.net <ki6nj at comcast.net> wrote:

> As I recall the present day Radio Shack got its name from a small radio
> store in Boston, MA.  The present day Radio Shack is the merger of the
> Allied Radio Co., Chicago and the Boston Radio Shack.  Perhaps someone else
> has more info on the topic.  When I was a kid in the early thirties, I
> bought my radio supplies from Allied Radio.

At the time Allied Radio was bought by Radio Shack, they were doing a
pretty decent industrial business (a la Newark Electronics). Not too
long after the acquisition, they spun the industrial business off as
Allied Electronics, which is still in business today.  Check out their
web site http://www.alliedelec.com ;  You might recognize their logo.

--zawada