[aprssig] Queries

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 21 17:30:54 EST 2006

I know the Kenwood TMD-700's will respond to a position  query.  I do it
all the time to ping my wife's radio and get a recent position.  Usually
when I'm leaving work, my radio's been turned off and I want to see if
she's left work, picked up the kid yet, etc.

To send it from the D-700, you send it as message to the station with
text of ?aprsp?.  The other radio will acknowledge it like any other
message as well as sending out a position packet.

Comes in handy as a "paging" feature.  My wife usually keeps the volume
on the voice side turned down.  When she hears the beeps of a received
message, she turns up the volume and ID's so that I can call her on
voice if I want to. (she doesn't like working the radio for messages
when driving).

I'm assuming other query's would work as well, but haven't tried them.

Scott Miller wrote:

> What devices support queries, besides PC-based systems?  Do the Kenwood
> respond to any queries?  I *never* see queries on the air around here - are
> they depreciated now?  Who uses them, and where?
>
> Scott
> N1VG

Randy Allen, KAØAZS