[aprssig] Tablet PC and APRS

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Jan 16 15:41:50 EST 2006

Jim W6RMK wrote on Jan 16 2006

> I expect bluetooth in ham gear about the same time we see
> flying pigs, even though it's an obvious enhancement.

I'm not sure that flying pigs would be an obvious enhancement. They
would be even harder to catch - hi!

> I'd love my mobile rig to have a  bluetooth audio interface that
> would sensibly interact with either the bluetooth in my car, or
> a bluetooth headset.

I agree 100%. There is a small hit on battery life, but it would be more
than worth it to get rid of all of the wires. There are just too many wires
in "wireless" equipment. I think that vehicles, radios and indeed almost
everything we need to interact with should be able to talk on some kind
of a personal area network. BT enabled GPS receivers are fairly available.
BT enabled laptops are not quite as available yet, but I'm sure they are
coming. Having BT built right into radios would be a real natural. I want to
get a BT headset even though I don't have any BT enabled devices yet.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH