[aprssig] New WIDEn-N explaination please

Richard Montgomery kb4ytm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:20:35 EST 2006

Hey William,

Your correct in that there are 3 digi's before KA4TAR thare are setup
incorrectly.Two dont have WIDE in the UITRACE slot. KA4TAR has WIDE in
UITRACE correctly it seems.

First and foremost though is N4NEQ-2 is still responding to RELAY which
is the first digi that this station sees most of the time.

This seems to be his raw packet heard by W4DTR-1 after a dumb RELAY
digi'd his packet first.
K4WZ>SSSV7W,RELAY*,WIDE4-4,qAS,W4DTR-1:'p1zl
-/>

If the digis were setup correctly then his packet would have looked like
K4WZ>SSSV7W,DIGI1,DIGI2,KA4TAR*,WIDE4-1,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>

Well I guess you wouldnt have seen him at all if they were ALL setup
correctly as he is using RELAY.

So until the digi's between you and this station are updated, its going
to be hard to tell where stations originate unless you look at findu.

Hope this helps,
Richard

William McKeehan wrote:
> There is a new local digi in my area that responds to WIDEn-N (KA4TAR). This
> is the first WIDEn-N digi that I can hear, so I'm learning about the new
> paradigm in the real world.
>
> I've encountered a packet that I do not understand:
>      K4WZ>SSSV7W,KA4TAR*,WIDE4-1,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>

> K4WZ is about 150 miles away from KA4TAR, so I do not think KA4TAR is hearing
> K4WZ direct. And looking at the WIDE4-1, it looks like I'm hearing him on his
> 3rd hop.
>
> However, looking at K4WZ's packets on the internet, it looks like K4WZ's path
> is SOMETHING,WIDE4-4 - that SOMETHING could be WIDE1-1 or RELAY. It looks to
> me like KA4TAR is removing everything in the path that has already been used.
>
> I would expect to see something like this:
>      K4WZ>SSSV7W,N4NEQ-2*,KA4TAR*,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>

--

APRS Traffic heard on 144.390 in Lexington, TN
http://richdea5.no-ip.org

Archived APRS traffic
http://richdea5.no-ip.org/usagehistory