[aprssig] New WIDEn-N explaination please

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Tue Jan 10 10:28:34 EST 2006

There is a new local digi in my area that responds to WIDEn-N (KA4TAR). This
is the first WIDEn-N digi that I can hear, so I'm learning about the new
paradigm in the real world.

I've encountered a packet that I do not understand:
     K4WZ>SSSV7W,KA4TAR*,WIDE4-1,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>

K4WZ is about 150 miles away from KA4TAR, so I do not think KA4TAR is hearing
K4WZ direct. And looking at the WIDE4-1, it looks like I'm hearing him on his
3rd hop.

However, looking at K4WZ's packets on the internet, it looks like K4WZ's path
is SOMETHING,WIDE4-4 - that SOMETHING could be WIDE1-1 or RELAY. It looks to
me like KA4TAR is removing everything in the path that has already been used.

I would expect to see something like this:
     K4WZ>SSSV7W,N4NEQ-2*,KA4TAR*,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>
or
     K4WZ>SSSV7W,N4NEQ-2*,KA4TAR*,WIDE4-3,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>
or even
     K4WZ>SSSV7W,N4NEQ-2*,KA4TAR,WIDE4-1,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>
which I was thinking would indicate that some other stations are not
but I was thinking that
     K4WZ>SSSV7W,KA4TAR*,WIDE4-1,qAR,WA4DSY:'p1zl
-/>
would indicate that KA4TAR heard K4WZ direct and I'm hearing the packet from
some other digi that has WIDE in UIFLOOD, not UITRACE.

Can someone explain why the path in this packet is showing what I see? Is
there a setting that KA4TAR can have set in his KPC3 to cause this?

Just trying to understand...thanks!

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU