[aprssig] Re: APRS Radio

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 02:37:38 EST 2006

fred at wb4aej.com wrote:
>     I was wondering why no one has ever manufactured a unit that was a
> combination radio and TNC-2 combined?  It would seem to be a logical thing
> to do.
>
>     Or has someone done this?
>
>     73,
>

>                                                                     Fred,
> WB4AEJ

Essentially this is what a Kenwood TM-D700 is!   Actually the D700 (and
it's hand-held counterpart the TH-D7) actually go beyond this in that
they have APRS-specific firmware that turns the front panel display into
a text-based APRS client.

When you use the built-in TNC with an external program on a PC via the
radio's serial port, the command syntax is very similar (though not
identical) to a TNC2.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com

  http://webs.lanset.com/wa8lmf/DigiPaths