[aprssig] Whazzuuuuuuuuup!

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Sun Jan 8 13:02:22 EST 2006

A clarification is in order: any issues with your IGate you traced down
to UI-View not getting sufficient CPU time to process the RF data
stream.  One potential help with this is to use a server filter port
(you may already be doing this, I don't know) to reduce the overall
processing that UI-View must do.

Regarding the problem that VE7DGH presented, there is definitely an
issue with DG0ES's station; whether it is a replaying the log problem or
a configuration that is causing delayed looping on APRS-IS or some other
configuration problem.  The reason I say this is because the delayed
packets contain two q constructs (the first has been mangled by making
it all upper case) showing that the packet was received by DG0ES via
APRS-IS and then, sometime later, is being reinserted by his station.
The posits for his station indicate that he is running UI-View.  As I
also pointed out, this is something specific to DG0ES's setup as it is
not something commonly seen elsewhere (delays, yes; loops like this,
no).

Your insight into potential delaying mechanisms with various IGate
software is very valuable and people should understand the ramifications
of your post: IGate software is at the mercy of everything else running
on a system.  If you have processes that take most or all of the CPU,
the IGate software can very easily fall behind.  Also, the more data the
IGate software has to process, the more likely it is to fall behind.
Server filter ports are designed to properly support IGates and should
be used in lieu of full feed ports to help reduce the IGate software
load factor.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net