[aprssig] Whazzuuuuuuuuup!

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Sun Jan 8 10:13:08 EST 2006

I have seen similar problems with my tracker moving around town.  I came
to the conclusion that UI-View acting as an IGATE was delaying delivery
of packets to TCP.  I even wrote a small utility program to compare
positions of my station to later reported positions of my station.
Since during the testing period I was moving, each packet was unique for
sure.  I found that in each case a ui-view station would deliver a
packet late anywhere from 120seconds to 500 seconds.  It was suggested
that the guy's internet connection was queueing packets but I found this
hard to believe.  I spoke with the guy who's copy of uiview was the
problem and there was nothing particularly unusual about his DSL
internet connection.

Now just to be fair about all of this.... I can't say for sure that
ui-view is the problem... but everything and everyway I've looked at
this points me that way.  And of course we have no way to dig around in
the sources to investigate.  That leaves me with the "If it quacks like
a duck" cliche.

Wes