[aprssig] Whazzuuuuuuuuup!

VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 7 22:31:17 EST 2006

I was going to make the subject "out of order packets" again, but this is a
bit different. I'm used to seeing mobile stations (in the Vancouver BC area)
backtracking from time to time. There has been lots of speculation about the
cause, often with the mention of the possibility of digis with radios that
had the squelch set too loose so the TNC would hold onto packets until the
squelch closed. I happened to be watching VE7CUU-14 driving around earlier
today in Squamish BC and noticed some wild excursions back in time that were
far more extreme than anything that I had seen before. I checked the raw
data at findu.com and discovered that as well as being gated by his own
VE7CUU, some beacons were being "re-gated" by DG0ES. This station is located
in Germany with a TCPIP connection. Why on earth would a station in Germany
be "re-gating" a station that is in Squamish?????

I was viewing VE7CUU-14's track with a TCPIP feed.

See www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=ve7cuu-14&time=1

The first position gated by DG0ES was at 2006 01 07 1836 32 UTC. Examining
the mic-e payload, I could see that it was originally gated by VE7CUU's own
IGate at 2006 01 07 1824 16 UTC - 12 minutes earlier. In another instance, a
packet "re-gated" by DG0ES was delayed by just 3 minutes. First, DG0ES
shouldn't be gating a station that is half a world away, but does the
APRS-IS need to be adjusted to reject dupes from even earlier than it
currently does?

I sent an APRS message to DG0ES, but didn't receive an ack. I checked after
sending the message and DG0ES hadn't been heard in the previous two hours.

This question was posed on the NWAPRS SIG earlier today.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH