[aprssig] Ambiguity due to GPS

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Sat Jan 7 15:06:26 EST 2006

Bill Diaz wrote:
> You really should reconsider the transmission rate your product permits
> operators to use.  UiView has an option to limit the number of packets gated
> to RF in a 1, 2, or 3 minute period.  Shouldn't be difficult to hardcode
> some reasonable limits in the firmware of your product.  This would limit
> the harm caused by excessive or abusive transmission rates.

How would it be possible for Scott to limit the transmission rate on the
OT? The code is freely available and anyone can modify it to use
whatever rate they choose, right?

I have never had occasion to use a transmit rate greater than 1
packet/min but I fully support the ability of others to use whatever
transmit rate they need, provided that they aren't causing harmful
interference.

Obviously the users you pointed out earlier are causing interference and
need to stop. I seem to recall that other APRS clients/trackers have
caused serious interference in the past as well, so I don't see how this
is an OpenTracker issue.

Kevin
KB9MQU