[aprssig] Ambiguity due to GPS

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 14:34:49 EST 2006

Curt,
  See below:

Fortunately for us, not every developer or software/hardware/firmware is
supplying products capable of transmitting 140 packets per minute.  I
haven't been able to document any cases where other vendors products produce
anywhere near the volume of traffic of some OpenTrac users.  Can you?

It makes more sense to ask a developer to limit potential abuse with simple
code changes.  Besides, this list is the best way to inform users of the
impact of ill-advised APRS practices.  As I pointed out in my earlier post,
it is unlikely most OpenTrac users are even aware of the volume of traffic
they are generating.

I seem to recall Scott insisting that all other developers should change
their code to accommodate his proposed protocol, so I certainly see nothing
wrong with asking him to change his code to minimize the potential for some
of his users to trash local networks.

>Seems to me that Scott has already answered this one earlier in the
>thread, and that someone in that local area should have a friendly
>conversation with the person, helping to guide them towards that
>elusive APRS-geek status we all hope to attain.  That's what is done
>around here, we have a very active APRS network here, and it runs
>quite well for the most part, even with a few of those "horrible"
>OpenTrackers in the area.  hi hi  (Note, I run one too)

Scott should be encouraged to not only inform users of the potential for
network unfreindly operation by his products, but he should take positive
steps to ensure this type of harmful activity cannot happen.

Bill KC9XG