[aprssig] Re: Alinco APRS Radios

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 12:49:30 EST 2006

archer at eskimo.com wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>

>> Because we want all existing 5000 users of the only
>> APRS manufactured radio to still see APRS on their
>> radio.
>>

> Perhaps we're forgetting the Alinco's?
>
>     DR-135TP    2-meter w/APRS
>     DR-620T     dual-bander w/APRS
>     DR-635T     dual-bander w/APRS
>
> They're on the APRS client capabilities chart.  It'd be nice to fill
> the chart better for these rigs.  Anyone with these rigs:  Please
> feed me any updates to the chart so that we can have a clear idea
> what portions of the spec these radios implement as well.  Thanks!

.Not familiar with the 600 series but the earlier one doesn't have
APRS.  It  does have a TNC built-in (actually the same Tasco
TNC-on-a-chip as the Kenwoods), but no APRS-specific firmware or display
capability.    In standalone mode (no PC attached to the serial port),
the Alinco is basically an NMEA dumb tracker.