[aprssig] Re: FINAL note on the 1 foot precision debate

Ron McCoy rmccoylist at blueantservices.com
Wed Jan 4 21:37:05 EST 2006

You seem to have lost sight of the fact that the SPEC you are so rabidly
defending is designed for tactical communications to accomplish a purpose.

If I am lost and the SAR team is using tools that are appropriate within
their known group of searchers that make it more likely that I will be found
well and whole, I say: Thank God.

This is akin to the constant debates I see on HAM lists about how many FCC
regulations can dance on the head of a pin. What is it that makes so many
HAMS more interested in arguing about the boring than doing the interesting?

I don't know the entire history of the APRS Spec but one thing is clear. You
are hurting your own cause with your attitude and seeming unwillingness to
deal in an open manner. No one seems to know where to find the canonical
version of the Spec or what might next be obsoleted at the foot of the
Kenwood god. If you really want to defend your Spec, document it clearly in
a well known place in PDF format. Have a working group that is transparent
and when the group reaches a decision that not all within the group ratify,
publish it. Let the minority faction state in writing their objection and
post it. Then no one can imply that any funny business went on in the
decision making process.

Or, if you don't want to do that, be honest and just say, "It's my Spec, I
made it, you can't play with it, it's mine, mine all mine."

Oh I forgot, then this list couldn't be clogged with hundreds of messages
that serve no purpose, in no way move the hobby forward, provide a forum for
endless ad hominem attacks and generally seem to be the sole purpose of HAM
radio for to many people.

</rant>