[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 4 21:09:18 EST 2006

>>> kevin at kevinratcliff.com 01/04/06 8:47 PM >>>
>I must have missed part of this discussion. I
>understand there is the proposed !DAO! format,
>but what are the other two methods Xastir (or
>other client software) can use to transmit ~1 ft
>precision and still maintain compatibility?

Actually there are more than 3.

1) Send the OBJECT as a compressed POSITION by
simply changing the callsign in the packet to the
name of the object.

2) Send the object as a 3rd party compressed position
report format

3) Send the object as a raw GPS NMEA string

4) Implement the proposed !DAO! format.

Personally, I would prefer to see option #1.  This
is even more efficient than the compressed object
report.  And the kenwoods can see and display all
of the above I am pretty sure...

de Wb4APR, BOb

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> The SPEC has kept up with this situation by offering
> a solution for the 1' precision that is 100% backwards
> compatible (the !DAO! format.  I wish other software
> that can much more easily upgrade than the mobile
> Kenwood users would do the same.

What software currently does or does not support the !DAO! format? Curt,
could this be added to the APRS client comparison chart? There are 20+
APRS client apps and right now I have no clue as to what percentage of
them support the proposed format; I do know which programs work with
Base91. This makes it hard for me to determine whether the !DAO! format
will work for our local SAR use.

Thanks.

Kevin
KB9MQU