[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 4 20:09:21 EST 2006

>> You call that progress??????  Continuing to insist o using
>> the obsolete and depricated compressed object format
>>that is known to be broken is what is hold ing APRS back.
>> Not the spec.
>
> Still works just fine between Xastir and my tracker!
>If we're defining 'broken' to mean anything that's
>not supported by the Kenwoods, then we might as well
>throw out the spec completely and enshrine the D700
>manual in its place.

You are overlooking the built-in extensibility of the APRS
spec.  It provided for plenty of free-field bytes in most
formats so that added features could be added.  It
is in those free fields that we were able to add the
extra 1 foot precison that was requested.  And while
we were at it, we added the datum as well.

Just about anything that has been requested or
proposed can be done within the existing spec.
We just need to all agree on how we do it so
that everything still works.

de Wb4APR, Bob