[aprssig] The best resolution of ---

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 4 19:19:13 EST 2006

>>> wa7nwp at jnos.org 01/04/06 12:18 PM >>>
>They have a name for a device that's not upgradeable.
>It's called "disposable."
>If the real world worked on that prinicple we'd all
>still be watching Black and White TV.

The Real World DOES WORK on that principle!!!!
They introduced color by overlaying it on top of
the Black and WHite signal that EVERY TV ever
made can still receive.  Not one TV set was forced
into obsolescence by the change to color.

That is exactly what I try to do with the APRS
Spec.  That is, add any new feature we want
within all the free-fields that have been reserved
for future growth without breaking any existing
users.

>For now - yes, support the Kenwoods.  They're
>an incredible piece of engineering.  We must keep
>up the pressure on Kenwood to fix the problems
>- and support them by purchasing the upgrades
>when they do.

But this 1 foot precison that XASTIR insists on at
the expense of ALL kenwoods is something WE
can FIX.  And it has alredy been done in the
APRS1.2 !DAO! proposal.   If authors would just
upgrade their software to this upgraded APRS
spec, then all this bellyaching by the XASTIR
crowd would be a non issue.

They would be able to not only exchange 1 foot
precise objects, but also the datum it is based
on.  AND the thousands of existing Kenwood
users would still see EVERYTHING on the air that
they currently see.  No one loses...

Except the XASTIR crowd who wont be able to
do as much kenwood bashing...

de Wb4APR, Bob