[aprssig] The best resolution of ---

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Wed Jan 4 12:18:21 EST 2006

While I mostly agree with Bob's position, the following
cries out for rebuttal

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> They are keeping them happy.  The Kenwood radio still
> does today, exactly what it did when they bought it.
> And they have not had to download new firmware every
> 3 months to keep it current with every whim of every
> programmer that wants to dink with the APRS protocol.

That's called stagnant.   Look how the Internet and Wifi
have changed since the D700 (let alone the D7) have been
introduced.  They're what, 6 and 9 years old?

They have a name for a device that's not upgradeable.

It's called "disposable."

If the real world worked on that prinicple we'd all
still be watching Black and White TV.

Any user that invests in a non-upgradeable product, either
hardware (Kenwoods) or software (exit plan?) must realize
that the time will come to write off their investment and
move on.

For now - yes, support the Kenwoods.  They're an incredible
piece of engineering.  We must keep up the pressure on
Kenwood to fix the problems - and support them by purchasing
the upgrades when they do.

73,
Bill - WA7NWP

I wonder how many of the Kenwood users have wrote
Kenwood about the D700 "chirp?"  Any OO's on the list?