[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Jan 4 11:10:13 EST 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> I personally would like to see more effort in actual
>> advancements to  APRS, and less effort keeping everything
>> frozen in time so that we're  backwards compatible
>> with 10 or 20 year old designs.
>
> Like what?

Well, the topic of this discussion is compressed objects/items, which
would result in more precision _and_ less bandwidth utilization.  Put
'em _back_ in the spec.

Let's see what else: a consistent, simple PATH scheme (newN-N doesn't
fit my definition of either) and the hardware to support it ($185
ROM-based TNCs with less processing power than your average Happy Meal
toy don't make for a good LAN or good use of my $$).

A real network, with a layer 3 and some intelligent network hardware.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but it's enough to
start with.

-Jason
kg4wsv