[aprssig] Re: The best resolution of position from APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:50:12 EST 2006

>>> HamLists at ametx.com 01/04/06 7:44 AM >>>
>> In other words, #1 [compressed objects] is broken and
>> can never be fixed.
>
>Only because Kenwood refuses to update their firmware.

I think there are several reasons:
1) it is cost prohibitive..
2) Users refuse to pay.  THey did a total recall on
   the first batch back in 1998 or so and only 10%
   ever were sent back.
3) Thus, thinking you can fix APRS by expecting all
    users to upgrade to the unique requirements of
    some software will never guarantee comunications
    compatibility.  We must keep standards and adhere
    to them if we want everyone in the field to see the
    same picture.

>BTW, there are only 5,691 [kenwoods] out of 25,016 total
>stations.

Ah, but how many USERS are represented by those
25,000 stations?  I routinely operate 6 stations under my call.
I would say that 25,000n stations represents about
10,000 users.  That means that MORE THAN HALF OF ALL
APRS users use a KENWOOD.

>> Whereas #2 is 100% compatible witih everything out there,
>> does not  break anything, and those people who must have
>> 1foot resolution can have it.  Done.

>With a lot of tweaking and interpretation that must be done
>manually as most software has never implemented your
>idea and the Kenwoods definitely don't implement it.

Ah, but that is what we have computers and software for.
XASTIR and all other authors could implement the !DAO!
format overnight,and instantly have 1 foot resoultion plus
datum and no one has to do anything manually.  And all of
their users that want it, can download the new version the
next day.  Yet, all the Kenwoods will still see these objects.

What XASTIR wants to seem to do is keep using the
depricated obsolete compressed compressed object format
and complain for years because Kenwood wont make their
radios compatible with it.

I wish they would just implemnet !DAO! and lets keep
everyone that currently exists compatible and get on with life..

de WB4APR

Flame on...

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL