[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Tue Jan 3 21:56:17 EST 2006

See http://www.kd4rdb.com/kd4rdb/k2jlb-7%20photo.jpg for a visualization
of the granularity of mic-e format.  I'm pretty sure the kenwood radios
will decode compressed positions from stations, but not for objects.

And just to be sure we (ie the masses on aprs sig) have terms right....
mic-e is not the same as compressed, although neither is human readable.

The thing I get a kick out of... is when MIC-e was developed, who
would've thunk that we'd have a GPS capable of 2m positons.  Kinda like
 Bill Gates saying "Who'll use all of 64k anyway?".

Wes