[aprssig] The best resolution of position from APRS

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jan 3 10:36:46 EST 2006

> The best resolution is to use compressed mode. Unfortunately, several
> months ago, Bob said that no one should use it at all, lest the be
> tempted to use it on an Object or Item which wouldn't be
> decoded by the
> Kenwoods.

That's OK... in a few months, everyone can just buy one of my new trackers.
=]  They'll already do compressed items/objects, direct or third party, with
Garmin symbol translation (plus a number of custom symbols on supported GPS
receivers), altitude extension (goes in the Garmin elevation field) and
comments.  Doesn't bother me at all if Kenwood doesn't want to fix their
firmware!

Speaking of the new project, I've been meaning to set up some sort of poll
about the form factor.  Would you rather see something like the OT1x layout
(plastic case, inline DB9s on each end, slightly larger than the TinyTrak or
original OpenTracker), a larger plastic case with a battery compartment
(either a cheaper and less noise-prone 9-volt setup, or more complicated
dual AA that might be able to run a GPS for several hours), metal case like
the TNC-X or KPC-3 plus mounting flanges and the ability to control a 20-amp
load (either for radio power control or remote control), or something else?

There could of course be more than one version eventually, but for now I
need to concentrate on getting one board ready.  The current prototype board
fits (er, almost) in the inline plastic case, which is certainly the
simplest and cheapest way to go, but except for the fact that it has locking
connectors, introduces all of the same mounting problems as the TT3 or
OpenTracker.

I've done a couple of prototypes for a metal case version with power
control, leaving holes on the PCB for direct soldering of 12 AWG wire.  It
occurs to me that a screw-down terminal block might be an option as well -
ought to handle 15 amps at least, and would provide convenient telemetry
connection points.  Anyone tried using one of these as a power connection in
a mobile application?  I worry that it might not be secure enough.

Other suggestions?

Scott, N1VG
http://n1vg.net/opentracker