[aprssig] Numerals Needed to Report Pressure

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Tue Feb 28 11:36:34 EST 2006

Do it the way the meteorologists do;  you actually only need 3 numerals to
report barometric pressure. No need to transmit the leading 9 or 10, and
drop the decimal point, too. Thus, a pressure of 1024.7mb is coded as 247,
and 992.6mb becomes 926.

There could be rare overlaps (central hurricane low pressures can go below
940, for instance and Siberia/Canada can go above 1040 in the winter) , but
context is obvious during analysis.