[aprssig] Global FRS radio like AVRS

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 27 11:19:45 EST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Dale Blanchard wrote:

> No one cares where any one one else is anyway.
> It is just a kind of vanity hobby were some one is tracking themselves
> when they know were they are in the first place.

Those exact thoughts kept me out of APRS for a few years:  I
remember Bob, KD7NM, telling me about APRS.  I totally dismissed it
'cuz at the time I just didn't get it.  Later I figured out the real
uses for it and got heavily involved in it.

The "vanity" uses of APRS can be thought of as training for the real
uses:  Search & rescue, support of public events, emergency
services, and telemetry such as for high-altitude balloons and
other experiments.

Without the constant "vanity use" training, we wouldn't have a
complete system or trained operators in place at those times we
really need them.

That's how I see it anyway.