[aprssig] Global FRS radio like AVRS

Mark Saurman vo1one at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 11:06:48 EST 2006

On 2/26/06, scott at opentrac.org <scott at opentrac.org> wrote:
> Anyone know what the FCC's take on these is?  FRS was meant to be a
> short-range service.  As far as I can tell these things don't violate the
> letter of Part 95, but I can see where the FCC might get upset if they
> become widespread.  I wouldn't buy one just because the whole 'no external
> antenna' rule really limits how useful a base station installation can be.

You just got to think outside of the box.  Sure, you can't have a
detatchable antenna.  However, there's nothing in the rules that stop
you from constructing the radio into the base of an antenna in a
waterproof enclosure and then running the control wires, speaker, mic
and power any length of distance from it.  Radio Shack did just that
with a mobile FRS radio by building the radio into a quarter wave mag
mount.

73,
Mark VO1ONE