[aprssig] Geo Files

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Sun Feb 26 09:11:43 EST 2006

Pete,
  See below:

You posted:
I can generate a table similar to
http://www.aprs-is.net/wx/RIDGERadar.asp with the points needed for a
Geo file (0,0 & 599,549).  However, I need to know: are the lat/lon
coordinates used for the center of the pixel or the top/left,
bottom/right corners of the pixels?

Since you were referring to RIDGE files, the answer to your question is
obvious.  The lat/lon of the ridge files refer to the center of the pixel.

I did not bother to answer the second part of your post:
I am guessing that most people use the center of the pixel but I would like
this confirmed.

>had already imported ALL of the RIDGE world files into a database using
>their statement that THEIR files reference the center of pixel
>0,0.  The
>issue that you apparently are unable to answer is "WHAT DO
>PROGRAMS SUCH
>AS WINAPRS, UI-VIEW, AND FINDU ASSUME TO BE USED FOR THEIR GEO FILE
>COORDINATES: CENTER OR CORNER OF THE PIXEL?"  I am sorry to this list
>for the shout, but Bill obviously is clueless as to what this question
>means.  Bill, if you don't know the answer to THAT question, then quit
>making your idiotic, self-serving posts.

Pete, mind your manners.  You are being your usual churlish self once again.

You need to re-read my post.  I answered your first question correctly based
on the reference you provided but did not answer the second question since I
did not know how all applications handle this at the time.

The original WinAPRS documentation does not specificially state the center
of the pixel:
The X and Y are in pixels of the IMAGE, the LON and LAT are that LON/LAT
values of the POINT specified by X,Y.

UiView help file also does not specifically state the center of the pixel:
Input the latitude and longitude of the top left and bottom right corners of
the map, which you should have noted at the time that you created the image.

UiView PMapServer has similar language regarding underlay files.

The above contain no reference to the center of the pixel.  Therefore, it is
likely these applications do not reference the center of the pixels.

Bill KC9XG