[aprssig] New APRS Client, Request for Developers

Ben Jackson bbj at innismir.net
Sat Feb 18 19:55:25 EST 2006

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Ben Jackson wrote:
>
>> Tired of all those snooty Linux developers having all the fun coding
>> their own APRS client?
>
> Pardon me?  Who's snooty?  ;-)
>
> Besides, we're Linux/Solaris/HP-UX/FreeBSD/MacOSX/Windows
> developers!  (Hope I didn't miss any)
>
> Just curious, why not pitch in on the Xastir client (which already
> runs on Windows and is open-source) to make it install/play better
> on Windows instead?  That's 85,000 lines of code that you wouldn't
> have to write...

I dunno, I just never really like XASTIR. It literally takes about 5
minutes to haul itself up on my Debian box (P4-1.6). Plus, I /can't
stand/ Motif. :)

> The Xastir-2 project, which we've been dying to get to for a long
> time, would allow you to write small cross-platform clients in any
> widget set you choose, so that you could create nice small apps for
> each OS.  Why not pitch in on that instead?  You'd benefit _all_ of
> the operating systems that way, and not just Windows.  Of course,
> you can't do cross-platform coding in C#, so if that's your choice,
> I guess all of the above is moot.

That sounds intriguing.

But thanks to the Wonders of Mono, C# works on Linux (and a few other
platforms). Hopefully in a few months, when they release the
System.Windows.Forms library, the code will natively compile over there.

--
/"\  Ben Jackson - N1WBV - New Bedford, MA
\ /  bbj <at> innismir.net - http://www.innismir.net/