[aprssig] D700 or... ? for simultaneous voice and packet

Richard Amirault ramirault at verizon.net
Sat Feb 18 13:11:14 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Winningham"
Subject: Re: [aprssig] D700 or... ? for simultaneous voice and packet
> On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:59 PM, Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV wrote:
>
>> The data band would preempt the voice band when it was ready to  send a
>> packet. I found this very frustrating when I used a V7A both  with a
>> KPC-3+ and a TT2. That is why I switched to a D700 and have  never
>> noticed the problem again.
>
> Depends on how the D700 is set.  The TNC can listen to just the data  band
> squelch or to both bands before transmitting.  I originally set  it to
> "both", but I rarely got a packet out while monitoring  repeaters,
> weather, etc.  I later chose to let it blank the voice  band for a second
> in return for getting my position reports out.

I think you are talking apples and oranges.  My understand of the original
post is that the radio would "preempt" the voice band .. that could mean
even to the point of cutting off a voice transmission in order to transmit
on the data band.  The D700 will not do that under any circumstances that
I've seen.

Richard Amirault                                N1JDU                Boston,
MA, USA
n1jdu.org                                   "Go Fly A Kite"