[aprssig] APRS and EchoLink(?)

Stan - N0YXV n0yxv at gihams.org
Fri Feb 17 16:12:32 EST 2006

Some what off current thread topic but it reminded me of a question. Since
it's some what off topic too maybe you could email me directly or send me to
a URL with some information.

OK here is my question. "If I was going to start a internet based voice
repeater linking system, such as IRLP or EchoLink, which one would be the
best?"

Since that is such an open ended question let me give you what I'd like to
be able to do.

1.) Link three (or more) voice repeaters in our area together just for
emergencies and maybe a weekly (or daily) test net.

2.) Be able to incorporate APRS into the system somehow. Yes I know that's
open ended too but I'm not sure how to state that any clearer. Maybe the way
to say that is which internet system (IRLP, EchoLInk, D-Star...and more you
can think of) makes the most use of APRS (or integrates the best).

3.) Be able to use existing repeater systems (when ever possible) without
having to buy too much new equipment.

What I wish I could find is a web site that lists all the pros and cons of
each liking system side by side. I'm sure if I ask 20 different Hams I'll
get 20 different answers so I'm not so interested in what your favorite is
but as to "why" you like (or don't like) the system your using.