[aprssig] APRS for a motorcycle - radios? - RF safety?

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Wed Feb 15 22:34:45 EST 2006

With all this talk of RF power and antennas on motorcycles, has anyone
looked up the maximum RF exposure limits in these cases? While the PEP limit
in to the antenna is set at 50 watts for 2 meters, over 100 w ERP right next
to ones head seems like it might be a problem. Maybe I'm wrong but I would
not want that much RF near my head, I'd take the option of fewer positions
to the APRS system over my health any day. This is not a like a car where
you have that nice solid metal roof shielding the energy from getting to
you. The MPE levels were developed for our health and safety. I know the
duty cycle of an APRS transmitter is such that it still seems like no big
deal but I would not do it. I know when I worked for a Motorola shop we
avoided trunk mount antennas if we could, and then if we did have to use
one, we put the antenna on the opposite side from the driver. This was
usually for 100 watt VHF units in police cars, add a 5/8 wave antenna and
you have 200 watts shooting right in the back window. Just my two cents

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC