[aprssig] Variable Resistor on KPC3+?

Andy AB9FX ab9fx at aprs.pl
Wed Feb 15 16:13:56 EST 2006

According to Peet Bros http://www.peetbros.com/HTML_Pages/faqs.htm#Q7 you
need from RJ11 only two pins: 3 output and 5 ground. For using with KPC-3+
your Ultimeter should be in Packet Mode.
Signal from Ultimeter is accepted by KPC-3+ in the same way as from GPS
unit. There are two methods to connect GPS or Ultimeter to KPC-3+.
First method, DB-25 pin 2 (TXD) and pin 7 (Signal Ground).
Second method, DB-9 (radio port) pin 2 (XCD as signal input) and pin 6
(ground).
In both cases configure commands:
GPSHEAD 1 $ULTW
data from Ultimeter fills up LT 1, so you need specify unproto in LTP 1
AP... VIA WIDE2-2
and intervals as BLT 1 E 00:05:00 or similar
Use another LT 2, 3 or 4 for your position and corresponding LTP and BLT.
For the first method (DB-25), you need to put KPC-3+ in the GPS mode:
INTFACE GPS
and after that connect to DB-25 Ultimeter instead of computer.
For the second method (DB-9), you need to configure port parameters:
GPSPORT 2400 NORMAL NOCHECK

Generally, if you do not need KPC3+ for any other purpose digi or whatever,
I would recommend using WX Trak or Open Tracker, simple, well working, not
so expensive.
WX Trak sends weather data without position (position in separate packet).
Open Tracker gives you weather with position and smart beaconing for wind
changes, but as I've checked three-four weeks ago didn't pass rain values
(all were zero, probably under development).
Another reason to use WX Trak or Open Tracker, Ultimeter in Packet Mode is
not readable by Kenwood's.
73!
Andy