[aprssig] APRS for a motorcycle - radios?

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Wed Feb 15 09:13:52 EST 2006

I took a metal box. Drilled a few holes in it (Antenna, GPS Antenna, Power)
and put the goodies inside (GPS, TinyTrak3, HT). I used BNC bulkhead adapters
to go into the holes for the antennas. The metal box made a good groundplane
for a 1/4 wave BNC style antenna.

I simply strapped the box to the luggage rack on the trunk with a couple of
bungie cords. Turned out that the bungie cord idea was a bad idea; I hit a big
bump in the road one day and everything went flying. The box did a good job of
protecting the contents, but the box was toast.

Some pictures of the box after the crash are available here:
  http://mckeehan.homeip.net/aprs_box.htm

The GPS antenna came out of the side while the 1/4 wave antenna attached to
the top.

I'm in the process of doing it all again with a mobile radio and a military
surplus ammo can.

--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU