[aprssig] APRS for a motorcycle - radios?

apratt at bestbits.org apratt at bestbits.org
Tue Feb 14 17:27:23 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:07:54 -0500, "Robert Bruninga" wrote:
> >I use a TH-D7A on my motorcycle...
> >Once you get your license you may find that
> >talking is a lot of fun...
>
> More importantly the TH-D7 converts all other
> APRS packets received for display on the GPS
> Map.  This way, your GPS will display where all
> the other APRS mobiles and motorcycles are
> around you, (not just you).  Bob, Wb4APR

That's a great feature! But in this case it's beyond the scope of my
project. I just want my position reports to be visible on the
Internet; I don't need to track others while I'm on the move.

Thank you, everybody, for the leads. It sounds like the TinyTrak
solution isn't "bad," it's just limited. If my proposed application
falls within those limits (and I think it does), then I can use
TinyTrak successfully.

I asked elsewhere and was advised that a 5W-7W HT is not likely to be
adequate for the areas where I want to be tracked. Obviously 2m is LOS
but in mountainous, remote Northern California, or the eastern and
western Sierras, or the Central Coast, or the vast desert areas,
wouldn't the extra punch of a 25W mobile make a big difference?

Thanks!

-- Allan Pratt, apratt at bestbits.org