[aprssig] APRS for a motorcycle - radios?

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 13 20:44:28 EST 2006

Well, here's my solution for motorcycle mobile.
Of course, depending on the bike and your budget
this may not be practical for you.

I've chosen the Yaesu FT-100D for my Honda Goldwing.
The reason is simple:  there is a separation kit allowing the
front control panel to be easily mounted on the handlebar,
with the radio remotely mounted in one of the side saddlebags.
The control panel is small and lightweight and can fit on a small
bracket bolted to the right side brake cylinder bolts.  Radio audio
connects to the bike's intercom so is available either through the
speakers or helmet.  The Goldwing already has a PTT switch
mounted near the left index finger, all you need to do is identify
the wires in the harness (I don't car or bother with any CB's,
otherwise the PTT might not be evailable to you).

Since you mention that you travel all over CA, this would give you
coverage for the majority of the time by VHF, and when you're
outside of DIGI coverage you could easily switch to HF (30mtrs
is ideal).  My setup is likely a little more involved than what you need,
as I also am mounting a solid state KW amp in the cargo trailer with
the HF antenna and coupler.  The VHF/UHF antenna is mounted on
the bike's trunk.

You'll need a TNC that does HF, not all do.
I believe one of either the TinkTrak or OpenTrak
support HF, but I'n not sure how easy it is to switch
on the fly.  Possibly it would be easier to have two TNC's
one on each side HF/VHF, as they're small and easily mounted
almost anywhere.