[aprssig] findU radar

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Sun Feb 12 18:28:45 EST 2006

Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
> As a follow-up to this, the RIDGE program was run as a national update
> to the rather dreary black-background screns of long use.  Lots of users
> had asked for prettier pictures, and SRH, in concert with the North
> Central Texas Council of Governments, and their GIS efforts, came up
> with a way to do this.
>
> RIDGE will become the national standard, and all Regions will refer to
> the RIDGE images.  Similarly, the core radar.weather.gov is supposed to
> switch, too.  There have been afew delays as some of the users don't
> want all of the overlay images loaded and not all the pertinent users
> want to use a java applet, either.
>
> I should hear more on this, and I'll try to post a link to an NWS
> presentation made by Ken Waters from the Pacific Region Headquarters,
> who is a team member, for the folks at Southern Region (SRH) who weren't
> able to travel to the recent American Meteorological Society meeting.
>
> So... radar times, they are achanging, and we may have to seek some
> alternate sites.  I'll try to keep the group aprised of the official
> changes I hear of.
>
> Since I'm doing most of my own radar processing, and not looking at
> RIDGE, I have to get these as official notices rather than discovering
> them myself!

I've got a working Java application that does the simple job of providing the
same interface that you see in the AJAX web page, but in Java to run standalone.

I'm working on integrating looping and refreshes to maintain up to date imagery.
  Anyone interested in such things, please let me know.  If there's enough
interest, I'll create a project somewhere for everyone to have access to the
source, and allow others to help with the development.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW