[aprssig] findU radar

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Feb 12 10:47:58 EST 2006

As a follow-up to this, the RIDGE program was run as a national update
to the rather dreary black-background screns of long use.  Lots of users
had asked for prettier pictures, and SRH, in concert with the North
Central Texas Council of Governments, and their GIS efforts, came up
with a way to do this.

RIDGE will become the national standard, and all Regions will refer to
the RIDGE images.  Similarly, the core radar.weather.gov is supposed to
switch, too.  There have been afew delays as some of the users don't
want all of the overlay images loaded and not all the pertinent users
want to use a java applet, either.

I should hear more on this, and I'll try to post a link to an NWS
presentation made by Ken Waters from the Pacific Region Headquarters,
who is a team member, for the folks at Southern Region (SRH) who weren't
able to travel to the recent American Meteorological Society meeting.

So... radar times, they are achanging, and we may have to seek some
alternate sites.  I'll try to keep the group aprised of the official
changes I hear of.

Since I'm doing most of my own radar processing, and not looking at
RIDGE, I have to get these as official notices rather than discovering
them myself!

gerry