[aprssig] FW: Animal tracking using GPS+UHF

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Thu Feb 9 18:03:38 EST 2006

I think the guy is focusing too much on the 'easy' parts... you can put
together the digipeaters and base station with off-the-shelf hardware pretty
easily.  It's the part that goes on the 'roos that's going to be hard.  You
need a package for the whole thing that'll hold the radio, gps, tracker, and
batteries, in a way that the animal will tolerate, while meeting the antenna
requirements of the radio and GPS, and withstanding the operating
environment.

A VX-2, GPS board, patch antenna, and maybe 4 AA's wouldn't be terribly
heavy, but I don't know what a kangaroo will put up with on a collar, or
what sort of antenna is safe to use.  Does anyone have a UHF OEM TX board
that'd be suitable?  I know there are more commercial options for UHF than
VHF, anyway.  If you only need a fix every hour or so, I think the above
setup would last a reasonably long time.

Scott
N1VG