[aprssig] jfindu.net - Citizens weather (NOT)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Feb 8 18:27:39 EST 2006

>>> HamLists at ametx.com 02/08/06 6:00 PM >>>
>Second, the pages are working.  As Robbie pointed
>out, you will still see weather stations, just not CW* stations.

Sorry it doesnt seem to work here.  I just did it again at
1815 EST time, see the attached screen capture here.
See jfindu-menu.bmp where you see that I have
selected "do not display CWOP stations" on the MENU page.
Then see jfindu-cw.bmp where you see there
are 30 or more CW stations on the map.

They do not disappear when I make the no-cwop selection.

>Third, the map width and height is in pixels.
> Therefore your scales that are used in
>APRSDos are essentially useless with maps of
>any scale using non-flat projections.

This does not make any sense to me.  I cannot
think of any map that  does not have a range
from the center to the edge in miles or kilometers
that can be used to give the viewing user an
approximate idea of the size of the actual area
he is looking at.

As it is, although one can zoom up and down in
jfindu, one never has any clue what actual
area of the world he is looking at until he sees
some geographical clue that he is familiar with.
 Now for people familiar with an area, this is
probably not much of a problem.
But it leaves viewers visiting an unfamiliar area
quite clueless as to what size of the world they
are looking at.

I would suggest placing a legend somewhere on the
map display page that suggests the approximate
range scale in view.  Range being defined as the
approximate distance from the center to the
closest edge. (the fartherest range that still fits
on the map, no matter what the projection).

de WB4APR, Bpb

 You can easily zoom in and out to your heart's desire by
clicking once on the map and using the PageUp and PageDown keys.  The
full table of key commands are shown below the map.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net