[aprssig] APRS Usage in SAR Activities

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Feb 8 13:52:11 EST 2006

Herb,
this is just an off-the-wall comment about SAR, so
it may or may not be of any value, but my number
one "idea" for optomizing SAR in some areas is
the suggestion to put APRS Digipeaters on all
SAR aircraft.  BUT the input to the digi is on 144.99
and output is on 144.39.  This way, SAR can operate
normally on 144.39, BUT if any small pocket trackers
or somneone out in the boonies that is not getting
in to the existing network, can switch to 144.99
UPLINK and be heard.  The Aircraft listning on
144.99 only does not have any QRM and will
hear anything that needs to use it.

The only downside is that a tracker that starts
transmitting on 144.99 and then the aircraft
goes away, is left stranded.  But this is all
solved by adding 144.99 RX to ALL APRS digipeaters
in the entire area.  This is a good investment
to all APRSdigis everywhere since it allows for
LOCAL priority at any digi to LOCAL units in
range of that digi.

You guys might want to discuss this at your
meeting...  This APRS +600 offset is a real
winner in my book for just about everything.

de WB4APR, Bob

>>> "Herb Gerhardt" <hgerhardt at wavecable.com> 02/08/06 12:39 PM >>>
The 2006 Washington State SAR Conference will be held on May 19 -21 at the
King County Fairgrounds in Enumclaw, WA.  (http://www.wasar2006.org/).

Curt Mills WE7U and myself KB7UVC are planning on doing an APRS Presentation
(Radio Tracking Your SAR Teams) at this year's conference that will be
slated toward the use of APRS into actual SAR searches.  Curt and I know
what has been happening in that regard in Snohomish County and Mason County
WA.  We have heard rumors about some other counties using or wanting to use
APRS during their SAR activities.

This message is a request for information on what your county is doing with
APRS and its use during SAR Activities.  The info we are looking for is
mainly for Washington State, but I do want to know of other places in the US
and elsewhere in the world where APRS is being used in local SAR activities.
We want to be able to list all the areas in the US and the rest of the world
where APRS is already being utilized during SAR activities.

So, if you are using APRS during SAR activities in your area, please forward
me an email (hgerhardt at wavecable.com) and give me the particulars of how
often and to what extent you are using APRS in your area for SAR activities.

Thanks,

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Mason County ARES/RACES ex-President & APRS Coordinator

Mason County ComVan:  http://map.findu.com/KB7UVC-1
Mason County Relay Truck:  http://map.findu.com/KB7UVC-2
Mason County EOC:  http://map.findu.com/KB7UVC-3
Mason County Foot Tracker:  http://map.findu.com/KB7UVC-6