[aprssig] slightly OT:recessed male twist and lock

joe at dellabarba.com joe at dellabarba.com
Tue Feb 7 13:14:07 EST 2006

I think "phase" is used to mean more than one thing in these discussions. The USA, like everywhere else that has AC power, has 3 phase generating plants and 3 phase distribution (mostly - I have seen one wire HV distribution out in the country that must use the earth for half the circuit). Most houses do not require 3 phase power, so they are supplied single phase power from a transformer that is between one phase and ground on the primary side and with a 240 volt center-tapped secondary. This gives 120 volts between each hot lead and neutral and 240 volts between hot leads. Some people refer to these as "phases", but they are really one side or another of the center tap. You are correct about boats - I have a diode and capactitor arrangement in my ground lead to provide galvanic isolation on my boat. BTW, I think the original question was about a trailer. You can have LETHAL results if a trailer on rubber tires becomes hot and a person standing on the ground touches it. I would ground any trailer that had AC power if it was up to me.
73
Joe N3HGB