[aprssig] Waypoint truncation

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Feb 6 07:05:33 EST 2006

>>> scott at opentrac.org 02/05/06 3:16 PM >>>
>But I'm planning to drop dashes and truncate
>from the right.

You can't do that.  If you truncate from the right
then the GPS cannot distinguish WB4APR-1
from WB4APR-3 from WB4APR-7 from WB4APR-9.

If you truncate from the right, then the result is
that the 6 character "WB4APR" would  appear to
be In Annapolis at one instant, then in
Baltimore a few  minutes later, then at the Naval
Academy a few minutes later, and then in Severna
Park a few minutes after that.

The GPS track would be  hopeless as well as
anyone trying to make any sense out of it
on the screen.  That is why we had Kenwood
truncate from the left.

But your idea of eliminating the hyphen will
work, because it retains the right-justified
uniquess of each station...  de Wb4APR, BOb