[aprssig] USB interface to d700a

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) farmer.aj at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:00:49 EST 2006

On 2/2/06, Michael J. Wolthuis <wolthui3 at msu.edu> wrote:
> So, do we know if the newer Garmin units have only USB or do they have
> serial as well?

Yes, Garmin has abandoned serial interfaces on their newer models in
favor of USB.  If you want to connect to the D-700, you need to go
back a few models until you find one with a serial interface.  You can
still find some well featured units though.  I have a Streetpilot III
which has a nice large color screen, voice prompts, and route
calculation.  It works just fine with the D700 and plots all the
received APRS stations right on the map.  I went from using a non-map
GPS for about a year to the Streetpilot III with the map, and it makes
using the D700 so much more enjoyable because you can see what is
around you at a glance.

http://www.garmin.com/products/spIII/

You can't get them new, but you can find them on eBay.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com