[aprssig] TNC-200 Assistance

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Dec 31 12:22:47 EST 2006

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, Rich Schiller wrote:

> I have recently acquired a used TNC-200 and I am unable to communicate
> between it and the computer.  When power is applied I get 5 lights on the
> front and while I am connected to the port with HyperTerminal all I get are
> "off the wall" characters, nothing legible, and no commands are accepted.

  It sounds to me like you've acquired a TNC-200 which is in KISS mode.

You might have a standard ROM, in which there is defined an 'escape
sequence' which can be typed into a terminal program which will give you a
CMD: prompt, where you can enter KISS OFF, then reboot, and you should get
a more readable signon message and a CMD: prompt.  Unfortunately, my
TNC-200 manual is out in the shack, and I'm still in my bathrobe this
morning.  Mebbe somebody else knows the escape sequence from memory.

You might have a dedicated KISS ROM, in which case, I'd define it to
xastir as a kiss tnc, and see if xastir can digest the packets.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin