[aprssig] Plug and Play USB-to-RS232?

Ben Jackson ben at ben.com
Sun Dec 24 13:52:42 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 05:29:13AM -0800, M J wrote:
> Does anyone know of a windowsXP natively recognized USB-to-RS232 dongle?
> All I have is USB and I really dont want to add another driver to my
> computer if I can avoid doing so.  Thanks!  MJ

Almost all of them have The FTDI or Silabs chipsets.  XP does not have
native drivers for those.  The drivers are fairly painless, though.  If
you don't trust the packaging of the drivers done by the dongle
manufacturer, you can get the virtual comport drivers directly from FTDI
or Silabs.

If you have an existing "GPS mouse" or other product with an internal
USB-to-serial adapter, you may already have the driver installed.

(the link someone else suggested also requires a driver, from Philips)

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben at ben.com>